HACK THE NEWS DATATHON 25 – 26 – 29 January 2019
Local Host | SofiaLab
Data Science Society is a global community gathering data scientists and enthusiasts from all over the world and applying the expertise of the community members for solving social problems. So far, with the help of over 1800 experts, Data Science Society has built methods to predict air pollution in urban areas and detect fake news in media, using data science, machine learning, text mining, NLP and many more. The idea behind those causes is that all social problems can be tackled through social engagement and combined efforts in the right direction.
The Benefits of participating in the Datathon
- Get exposed to a challenging Data Science research problem
- Play with data to build the optimum analytics solution
- Learn advanced analytics methods for solving complex problems
- Work with your co-Data Scientists to achieve a single goal, i.e., providing the optimum solution in real-life business case
- Get access to the first NLP dataset ever built for propaganda identification.
Joining the Datathon in Sofia, Bulgaria
Everyone with the desire to learn in the field of Data Science can participate– be it math geeks, data gurus, and enthusiasts, students and beginners or anyone interested in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Statistics or an area of the Data Science domain.
*Keep in mind that if you are a participant, who wants to join the Datathon physically in Sofia, you should book a ticket Participating in Sofia and
choose Participating at a Host and Onsite in Sofia, Bulgaria from the drop-down options of the question – the registration page.
If the participants have questions regarding the activities they are advised to use the Data.Chat channels accordingly:
- Announcements: #announcements channel
- General collaborative channel: #general channel
- Technical questions: #issues channel
- Local organization channel: #general
- Groups where the cases are going to be discussed with industry experts: #nlp_text_mining
These channels are going to be the main place of where you will ask questions to the mentors during the Datathon.
3rd floor at Serdika 1, 1000
Sofia, Bulgaria (Map)
Logistics and onsite management:
Denitsa Yordanova, DataChat username: @denitsa
Day 1 Friday (Jan 25)
7:00 pm: Meet & Greet fellow data enthusiasts / Door Opens
7:30 pm – 8:15 pm: Official Opening
9:00 pm: Team article Deadline
Day 2 Saturday (Jan 26)
11 am-12 pm: Case Q&A with Industry Experts (online)
18 pm: The test set is uploaded
Day 3 Sunday (Jan 27)
5 pm: Deadline to upload a final version of your article
7 pm: Finalists Announcements
Finals Tuesday (Jan 29)
*Please note that this is a 48 hours event and teams will be working throughout Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Access will be controlled limited in the hours between 8:00 PM and 8:00 AM. We provide coffee, tea, and snacks.
** If you have any questions, please refer to the General rules for participation and ask in the respective channel in the Data.Chat.