HACK THE NEWS DATATHON 25 – 26 – 29 January 2019
Local Host | Qatar Computing Research Institute – HBKU Research Complex
Qatar Computing Research Institute (QCRI) is a national research institute, established in 2010 by Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, a private, non-profit organization that is supporting Qatar’s transformation from a carbon economy to knowledge economy. QCRI conducts world-class multidisciplinary computing research that is relevant to the needs of Qatar, the wider Arab region, and the world. They perform cutting-edge research in such areas as Arabic language technologies, social computing, data analytics, distributed systems, cybersecurity and computational science and engineering. QCRI operates under the umbrella of Hamad bin Khalifa University.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is homegrown research and graduate studies University that acts as a catalyst for positive transformation in Qatar and the region while having a global impact.
The Benefits of participating in the Datathon
- Get exposed to a challenging Data Science research problem
- Play with data to build the optimum analytics solution
- Learn advanced analytics methods for solving complex problems
- Work with your co-Data Scientists to achieve a single goal, i.e., providing the optimum solution in real-life business case
- Get access to the first NLP dataset ever built for propaganda identification.
Joining the Datathon in Doha, Qatar
Everyone with the desire to learn in the field of Data Science can participate– be it math geeks, data gurus, and enthusiasts, students and beginners or anyone interested in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Statistics or an area of the Data Science domain.
*Keep in mind that if you are a participant, who wants to join the Datathon physically in Doha, you should choose you should choose Participating at a Host and Onsite in Doha, Qatar from the drop-down options of the question – the registration page!
If the participants have questions regarding the activities they are advised to use the Data.Chat channels accordingly:
- Announcements: #announcements channel
- General collaborative channel: #general channel
- Technical questions: #issues channel
- Local organization channel: #general
- Groups where the cases are going to be discussed with industry experts: #nlp_text_mining
These channels are going to be the main place of where you will ask questions to the mentors during the Datathon.
Qatar Computing Research Institute (www.qcri.org)
HBKU Research Complex, HBKU RC1,
Doha, Qatar (Map)
Logistics and onsite management:
Preslav Nakov, DataChat username: @preslav
Day 1 Friday (Jan 25)
7:00pm: Meet & Greet fellow data enthusiasts / Door Opens
8:30pm – 9:15pm: Official Opening
10pm: Team article Deadline / Door Closes
Day 2 Saturday (Jan 26)
10am: Door Opens
12am-1pm: Case Q&A with Industry Experts (online)
10pm: The test set is uploaded/ Door Closes
Day 3 Sunday (Jan 27)
8am: Door Opens
6pm: Deadline to upload a final version of your article
8pm: Finalists Announcements/ Door Closes
* You are welcome at the location but please, write your names to the organizers!
** If you have any questions, please refer to the General rules for participation and ask in the respective channel in the Data.Chat.