1. Overview of the Data.Platform website
Register in our Datathon website. The link is: https://www.datasciencesociety.net/datathon/register/ and the registration will go through e-mail confirmation. After that You should fill-in Your profile, including an avatar (not necessary Your actual photo), Your name, Your data science interest, etc.
Besides going to our public landing page (“Home”) and logging out, our Datathon website has three major functions – Articles, DataChat and Profiles.
1.2. Articles/My posts
The articles have two functions – first each case is described in an article, but also every team writes their solution to the case in an article (following standard CRISP-DM methodology). While the team works their article is not accessible to everyone, but only to the team members and to the team mentor. Once the team is ready with their solution the article becomes public to be commented and asked upon. All articles and all posts/comments are rateable by votes of the audiencies. All articles and posts are also searchable.
The data chat is the main place for online communication among the participants, experts and mentors. If You are familiar with Slack this one works very similar. It is in essence Rocket chat (help: https://rocket.chat/docs/user-guides/ ; App store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rocket-chat/id1148741252 ; Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.konecty.rocket.chat , once you log in the link for entering into our platform is https://ask.datasciencesociety.net ) and it also has many cool and free features as Videochat, full customization, etc. As soon as You log in there, You should join the channels “General”, “Announcements” and any relevant channel you wish to join (e.g case channel or topic channel or etc) . The DataChat is going to be the main place of Your contributions during the Datathon. If You wish You may also join some team channels or create Your own (by clicking “+” by the search box). Note: if You click on the search box You would see the full list of open channels.
Every participant, every expert and every mentor should fill in their profiles on registering as this is the main source of information about any given person. Also the top 5 posts will appear in the profiles. The profiles are searchable.
2. Accessing the Data Chat
Data Chat is our platform where we gather our community, it’s based on the Rocket Chat application. By using it properly you\ will be first to know about our new special events, community games and useful data meterials provided by our experts.
2.1. To use the Rocket.Chat mobile app you need to:
- login to DSS site and select DataChat menu and login there
- install Rocket.Chat app from Google Play Store or App store
- Open the app and you will be prompted to choose a server (Fig.1) or swipe with two fingers and choose the option “Add (+)” (Fig 2).
- Enter https://ask.datasciencesociety.net
- Enter your user or email and a password with the same credentials as in DSS site
2.2 You can install the Desktop application for Microsoft, MacOS and Linux via this link. (Fig.3)
- Follow the installation steps of rocketchat-setup
- When you launch the app it will ask you to “ENTER YOUR SERVER URL” there you will paste “https://ask.datasciencesociety.net/“, then click “Connect” (Fig. 4)
- You will be directed to Login screen for the Data Chat, click on it to reveal the Login page fields.
- Enter your Username and Password and click Login (Fig. 5)
- You will be directed back to login screen, when you click on it you will enter the Data Chat and see the main channels.
2.3. Combine Data Chat with other messengers.
If you want to unify your messengers in one place including Data Chat (also known as Rocket Chat) we can recomend you to use.
2.4. Groups and seraching
There are several groups which we can recommend to join, use search menu to find them:
- #general – for general info
- #announcements – read-only group for announcements from DSS
- #issues – if there are problems also you can check Help -> FAQ menu on DSS site
- #data_fun…. – we focus on the funny part here
- #learn – useful educational resources
These channels are going to be the main place of where you will ask questions to the mentors during the Datathon.
If you are the leader of your group creating channel for your team is easy, just click on the plus sign next to the search.
To invite people in your channel write /invite @name and you will get auto suggestions.
Video and audio chat is conducted via direct messages not in the group itself.
2.5. Video calls with Data Chat.
To start a video chat you need few things.
First you have to connect the people with which you want to make video chat. (by direct message or being in common group)
It happens this way:
There are three ways of joining a public channel, you can either search for it, be invited to it or be mentioned in it.
For starting a direct message you can either search the user you want to talk or click on that user’s avatar and click on the “Conversation Button”.
Now you are ready for the group video chat. Simply click on the three dots at the top right of you channel.
Then click on the Video Chat link.
Keep in mind that you may have to allow the usage of you camera and microphone manually for the video chat.
3. Edit your profile
When you are already logged in take a look at your Profile. From this panel:
At the Profile page there are few useful links under you avatar.
- My Articles – Will show your articles and will give you link to start a new one
- Settings – Are for your Account Email and Password, You can adjust your profile visibility or delete your account from there.
- Profile – Will take you back to Profile section with all its options
- Edit – Will allow you change some of the preferences which you selected during your registration.
- Change Profile Photo – Change your avatar if you want. (it’s not necessary to be your actual photo)
3.1 Article creation and building
- Clicking on the top link “MyProfile” – > “My Articles” or from Profile followed by My Articles.
- Then click on “New Article” (just below the search on the right-hand side)
- The team leader should assign working article title similar to the case business description
- In the Body you need to specify which case you are going to work, which platform you prefer, like Microsoft, AWS or IBM and team name.
- Choose from Categories – Datathon cases
- Next thing to be done by the team leader is to add all team mates plus @pepe, team name, case, preferable provider and mentors. . Then click save.
Congratulations, now you are ready to start the action!
3.2. How to add Video
When you have a video, you should upload in Youtube.
Then click on Add Media just below the title for your article.
And choose the option Insert from URL.
3.3 How to upload Jupyter Notebook
When you have a Jupyter Notebook or picture or another file you can upload them. We have a back-end Jupyter Hub on our website and it will be visualized correctly.
Click on Add Media just below the title for your article.
3.4 How to add Formulas
The DSS platform integrates the super-fast KaTeX math typesetting engine with your WordPress website. The plugin allows you to put LaTeX in a <code>[ latex]…[ /latex]</code> shortcode, and beautiful math appears on your post or page.
The platform also has an option to use the excellent jsDelivr CDN to load the KaTeX scripts, further increasing the performance of the plugin.
Equations in <code>[ latex display=”true”]…[ /latex]</code> will be rendered in display mode (rather than inline mode) and centered on its own line.
3.5.The processes of posting article
Articles have two stances.
- Draft – Is the working stance of the article, where only the team members and mentors can see, update, and comment.
- Published – Is the stance where the article is viewable by everyone in the internet, but only logged in participants can comment on it.
3.6.Interactions with other Articles
The participants are allowed and encouraged to comment, upvote and ask questions to other articles. We want to create long lasting knowledge base and sense of community.
Here you can see the upvoting