Meetups are an integral part of our data science society knowledge sharing pillars. They are regular events that usually happen once in a month and it happens as a physical meeting with a digital presence. This means that we gather locally to listen the presentations on interesting topics from the domain while at the same time we stream the event online and record it for our society members.
These events can have from one to a few speakers. These people have expertise and knowledge that is interesting for our members. They are able to share their view on different topics which are aligned with the Data Science Society values. The presentations mainly happens on location, but there is a possibility to be done online as well.
Before the Meetup
- We use the Data Chat for communication and for arranging suitable date and topics
- You will be invited to a dedicated Data Chat channel where we will talk about the event with you
- Tell us on which dates you are free (usually, we do our meetups on Tuesdays)
- Give us your preferred topic to talk for, including personal photo and short biography as soon as possible
- Send us your powerpoint presentation in advance because we need it for the streaming of the meetup
- When the event is set you will receive links to it so you can share it. Because share is care! 🙂
- Provide email and telephone (email is needed in case that the presentation is done online via programs like Hangout so we can schedule it in advance)
- Order of the speakers (if multiple) will be given in advance in the dedicated Data Chat channel
During the Meetup
- Be 15 min earlier at the location
- Bring your laptop or let us know to arrange something
- Be aware that we are going to stream and record the talk for our audience
- The opening of the event is done by the Data Science Society for 5 min
- Presentations must be in English because most of our audience is international
- Your screen will be shared via HDMI to the wall for the people in the room. In case that you are presenting online, Hangouts video call will be scheduled and you will be able to use the screenshare option.
- We use microphones during the presentations, you will have to use one as well. It’s simple just like karaoke, when you talk, keep it near your mouth not away from you. 🙂
- Hangouts is our main tool for online video presentations. Have in advance google chrome installed if we are going to have a call because other browsers give problems.
- Length of a presentation per person is between 20 to 30 min, depends on the number of speakers.
After the Meetup
- The meetup will be recorded and shared among members of the society because one of our main drivers is the knowledge sharing. Which means that the video recordings will be linked with the powerpoint presentation and shared with your name in the descriptions.