Meetups are an integral part of our data science society knowledge sharing pillars. They are regular events that usually happen once in a month and it happens as a physical meeting with a digital presence. This means that we gather locally to listen to the presentations on interesting topics from the domain while at the same time we stream/record the event online and record it for our society members.
These events can have one or several speakers. These people have expertise and knowledge that is interesting for our members. They are able to share their experience and knowledge on different topics which are aligned with the Data Science Society values. The presentations mainly happen on the premise, but there is a possibility to be done online as well.
Before the Meetup
- We use the Data Chat and the email for communication and for arranging suitable date and topics
- You could be invited to a dedicated Data Chat channel where we can talk about the event with you
- Tell us on which dates you are free (usually, we do our meetups on Tuesdays)
- Give us your preferred topic to talk for, including a brief, a personal photo, and a short biography as soon as possible
- Send us your powerpoint presentation in advance because we need it for the recording/streaming of the meetup
- When the event is set you will receive a link to share it with your network. Don’t forget that sharing is caring! 🙂
- Provide an email and a telephone (email is needed in case the presentation is done online via programs like Hangout so we can schedule it in advance)
- Please think of up to 3 questions regarding the content you presented – the audience will be engaged with the questions after your talk
- Order of the speakers (if multiple) will be given in advance in the dedicated Data Chat channel or per email after the presentations are sent to DSS
During the Meetup
- Be 15 min earlier on the location
- Let us know if you need a laptop for your presentation if you haven’t one
- Please install obs on your laptop; it’s used for the screen recording, especially in the case of a demo
- Be aware that we are going to stream &/or record the talk for our audience
- The opening of the event is done by the Data Science Society for 5 min
- The presentations must be in English because most of our audience is international
- Your screen will be shared via HDMI to the wall for the people in the room. In case you are presenting online, Hangouts video call will be scheduled and you will be able to use the screenshare option.
- We use microphones during the presentations, you will have to use one as well. It’s simple just like karaoke; when you talk, keep it near your mouth not away from you. 🙂
- Hangouts is our main tool for online video presentations. Have in advance google chrome installed if we are going to have a call because other browsers give problems.
- The length of the presentation is between 20 to 30 min per person, depends on the number of speakers.
After the Meetup
- The meetup will be recorded and shared among members of the society as one of our main drivers is knowledge sharing. This means that the video recordings will be linked with the powerpoint presentation and shared with your name in the descriptions.