Datathon Participants Instructions
Dear participants, we highly appreciate your participation in Datathon 2018 as a challengers and we are sure that your contribution will make for another great Datathon. Please, see the participant instructions for the Dathaton 2018. During the event your task would be to develop a data based solution to a chosen case study.
10.02.2018 – Exploration day
11.02.2018 – Appraisal day
Register into the Datathon Platform
- Register in Datathon website.
- The link is send via email.
The registration will go through e-mail confirmation.
Complete your profile for matchmaking up to 7th of Feb
- Fill-in your profile details
- Complete your profile if you are alone and need a team including question 8.
These questions are essential, especially the last one for providing you with rewarding experience.
Log into DSS platform
- A confirmation email about the registration is received. Keep in mind that there might be delay for receiving it or could be in spam folder.
- You can directly access the Log In from the home page for Datathon 2018.
- In case of issues please write email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You should enter the platform via this page:
Read the presented cases
Read the presented cases from the Datathon Info followed by Cases link and pick your working project.
There you can also find the platform guidelines from IBM and Microsoft.
Just use the search on right handside.
Login into Data Chat
Once again use the link from the top panel to access the Data Chat
or enter in your browser https://ask.datasciencesociety.net
Now comes the fun part! Join the Data Chat and find your teammates there.
- The data chat is the main place for online communication among the participants, experts and mentors. You’re familiar with Slack, this one works very similar. It is in essence Rocket Chat (help: https://rocket.chat/docs/user-guides/; App Store: / Google Play) and it also has many cool and free features like Videochat, full customization, etc.
- If you want to install the Rocket Chat application on your mobile, you must be logged into the DSS platform first.
- All the communications are conducted in English.
- If you have any technical problems write in the #issues channel
Speak with mentors and experts about the platform and the cases
There are several groups which we can recommend to join, use search menu to find them:
- #general – for general info
- #announcements – read-only group for announcements from DSS
- #issues – if there are problems also you can check Help -> FAQ menu on DSS site
- #cases_…. – these are the groups where the case are going to be discussed with industry experts
- #nlp_text_mining, #ml, #sna, #cv, #ai, #bio_inf – Areas where the top mentors are going to be
- #provider_…. – the place to request support from IBM and Microsoft
- and the most important, you are free to set up your team group and start working in private group
These channels are going to be the main place of where you will ask questions to the mentors during the Datathon.
If you are the leader of your group creating channel for your team is easy, just click on the plus sign next to the search.
To invite people in your channel write /invite @name and you will get auto suggestions.
Video and audio chat is conducted via direct messages not in the group itself.
If you are a mentor, industry expert or provider let @stephen know so he can add you into operational group
18:30 – 20:30 – Check out the schedule for the opening
- The updated schedule is on home page.
- It is important to follow up the opening schedule so you can find your team members as soon as possible.
- There will be live streaming with updates in the general Data Chat.
21:30 – 22:00 – Team forming if you are without a team
- Take part in Matchmaking process on Friday night (21:30-22:00) live, where you can see what DSS recommends to you
- Matchmaking requested applicant from their profile can see our suggestions for a teammates in #announcement channel after 22:00 (GMT+2) online live.
- If someone is left out during the teaming up in the #announcement channel he/she should move to #general to pair up with other lonely participants and be proactive.
- The preferable size of the team between 3 to 5 people
22:00 – 23:00 – Register the team
Create your own team channel in Data.Chat
- Find each other in direct messages and appoint one of you to create the team private channel, with the most strange or funny name of your team if possible use animals 🙂
- Select “+” next to the search box
Post your team details in article
- You need to create new article and add all team mates plus team name, case, preferable provider and mentors.
- There is a template one which can be used called “Example of Team Article”.
- The role of the mentor is to read and comment the article (your result) without editing it, while it is in private mode (Draft status).
22:00 – 00:00 – Receive the provider credential
The credential and vouchers are going to be provided by within the article. If there are delays or problems contact @pepe or respective #provider channel in Data.Chat.
10.02.2018 – Exploration day
You have time:
- setup the platform using the Guidelines of respective Provider plus exercising provided voucher.
- Contact providers in Data.Chat for clarification and mentorship, if needed setup audio or video call.
- Transfer all the data into the team environment and start working after you receive a link to the providers storage where your case data will be based.
- Approach industry experts for clarifications in their virtual rooms #case..
- Approach mentors they are going to monitor all groups relevant to their expertise in #nlp_text_mining, #ml, #sna, #cv, #ai, #bio_inf and there you can raise your question. If you want higher security you can contact them directly, but be aware that they are not going to be online all the time, so if you are using a group(channel) someone else can answer on your question in a timely manner
- There is an #issue channel for DSS platform problems which can arise
11.02.2018 – Appraisal day:
00:00 – 14:00 – Upload your results and publish the article.
- Finally it cаme the time to be proud of yourselves what you did and how much you learn. We advise you to use the CRISP-DM methodology for your masterpiece 🙂
- You need to add export from your code in Jupyter Notebook or something similar and your results.
- The main idea is that the mentor and all the jury will review the results and provide guidance, comments for evolving the solution and improving your knowledge and expertise.
- You may provide and uploaded video of up to 3 minutes to explain some details.
14:00 – 15:15 – Semi Finals – Jury
- This is also the time for voting for everyone else’s solution (by clicking on the upvote arrow at the solution). At the end of the competition these votes would count for the Audience award.
- The teams will be assigned in groups of 4-5 (working on the same case, and maybe one group with various cases) on Sunday morning
- Every group gets to be judged by one mentor, one domain expert (from the company which provides the case) and one DSS expert.
- The team which gets ranked at the top of their group qualifies for the final.
- Participants are also encouraged to leave comments and questions to other articles, when they are available. You can easily compare different or similar approaches.
- The jury vote will be based mainly on the content of the articles of the team.
- The mentors will provide you with feedback below your article, their names will be with distinguishing color.
15:15 -15:30 – Finalist announcement
The final 8 teams are going to be announced and preparing for the final round where they need to login and present their solution.
15:30 -18:00 – Finals and closing
- The finalist teams would have a live 3 minute presentation (over Google hangout) followed by 2 minutes Q&A session by the Jury.
- 16:30 – 17:30 – The Jury decides
- The team with the best collective rank wins.
- Awarding the winners (17:30-17:45 Awards)
There will be streaming for the award ceremony so keep an eye on the website, schedule and the #announcement chat for pinned messages.